<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 14, 2008

Opt-out donors 

I have one reservation about Gordon Brown's idea that organ donor schemes should be made opt-out rather than opt-in. It will, of course, mean that more organs are available for donation, which is a good thing.

However, currently people don't carry a donor card for two reasons: they don't want to donate OR they are not allowed to donate.

I am a gay man and I am therefore not even allowed to donate blood. I haven't looked into it but I guess that I am not allowed to donate organs either.

Presumably, I would be obliged to carry a do-not-donate card to make sure my gay organs are not used after my death or perhaps I would have to go on some register. There is my problem. This can be seen as a gay registration act.

I don't see that as a good thing, somehow.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?