<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 02, 2007

"Time is reversing" 

I don't normally comment on Doctor Who. Other people, notably my friend Paul, do it so much better. However, although I enjoyed it, I did find some elements of the end of season finale on Saturday a little hard to swallow.

Look away now if you haven't seen the episode and you do not want to read a spoiler!

The return of the master - OK, I guessed that was going to happen before the start of season three

The toklafane were the remnants of humanity - didn't really care. Humans always do bad things to other humans. What's new?

Bringing the Doctor back by the whole world saying his name at once - excuse me? I have seen Peter Pan, thank you very much. That scene with Tinkerbell ("you do believe in fairies, don't you?") makes me cringe just as much.

Time reversing when the paradox engine is switched off - Big red reset buttons are just awful. As plot devices they just do not work. I could see that RTD would have to stuff one in though. He'd allowed too much to happen.

Captain Jack is The Face of Boe - I liked this. Nice idea.

The Titanic crashing through the side of the Tardis - not good. A) How? The Tardis has withstood loads worse in its time and besides, the outside does not map to the inside in a direct way B) It's a cliché. As soon as I saw the prow of the ship poking through the wall, I thought "Titanic". I did not need to see the rubber ring. I predict that the Doctor will have to sink the ship in order to save the world.

All of that aside, I did enjoy the episode, just not as much as I wanted to.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?