<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 16, 2007

Millisecond of fame 

The Guardian has today printed a picture of the inside of the Albert Hall taken last Friday on the First Night of the Proms as part of their Eyewitness series. It is a stunning picture and one I would have loved to have taken, given the opportunity and a mastery of heights that I do not possess.

What makes it more special for me is that I can clearly see myself in the picture. I know my bald head anywhere. That I know exactly where I was sitting makes it just that little bit easier to find me. I can even make out the irritating American couple who were sitting in front of me. Honestly, he had his arm around her! Very touching but there just wasn't room.

I can also see the man who sat behind me who clapped like a performing seal inches from the back of my head. I gave him a hard stare but I don't think it did much good.

Unsurprisingly, with those two as neighbours and three empty seats beside me, I changed seats in the interval which is how I know that the picture was taken in the first half.

The second half of the concert was Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, an awe-inspiring choral piece that moves me to tears every time I hear it. Sitting that close to the orchestra and more importantly, two major choirs, just blew my socks off.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?