<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Musicals 

It is a gay cliché but I love musical theatre. Regular readers (ha!) may have noticed this already.

Despite having a week in Wales, David and I have managed to see two West End musicals in the last two weeks.

The day before we left for Wales we saw The Drowsy Chaperone in the Novello Theatre. We went with four friends and sat in the front row. I cannot describe this show adequately. It starts with a man putting on a record of his favourite musical, The Drowsy Chaperone from 1928. The show, the story of a wedding, bursts into life in his apartment and he talks us through it. It is a masterpiece of comic timing, rapid costume changes, dancing and singing. At one point, when he changes the record ... no, I won't tell you that. It will spoil it for you.

We all laughed a lot. Our friend Martin, who laughs loudly, drew the attention of the man in the chair during the break between records because he was laughing so much, which, of course, made us all laugh all the more.

Last night, David and I saw The Sound of Music. Wow! I loved it. I wasn't sure when I went and even less sure when a huge woman with huger hair sat in front of me but when I found myself grinning like a fool during the nuns' chorus I knew I was going to enjoy it. I may bring scorn upon myself for saying this but it is infinitely better than the film. Connie Fisher was great, the kids were wonderful, the nuns awesome and the Reverend Mother staggering. I can see why she fell for Captain Von Trapp although if I were her I may have tried Franz the butler first.

As with the film there were weepy bits. I always get a bit tearful during Edelweiss and more so when the Captain finds his voice again and sings with the children. I was nearly blubbing last night. The Lonely Goatherd song, my favourite, didn't have the puppets or even any relevance to the plot but a lovely simplicity that warmed the heart and tapped my toes.

Which show did I like best? I cannot say. I loved them both in different ways and want to see both again. Would you expect anything else of me?

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?