<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Doctors and gyms 

I went to the doctor the other day. The main reason was because I here’s a rash on my arm. It doesn’t itch and isn’t painful but it doesn’t look very pretty and I have to wear long-sleeved shirts which I don’t like doing in this weather.

His guess, and I stress that I think he was guessing, is that I have something called guttate psoriasis which can be caused by any number of things. It should go after about four weeks. Can’t wait.

The other reason I went to the doctor was because of my gym. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, I think. I attempted to rejoin but I was foolish enough to tick a box on the application form that said I had a joint problem (my knee hurts a bit when I go upstairs). They gave me a form to take to my doctor to sign. And, in the process, talked to me like I was mentally subnormal.

Anyway, as I was going to the doctor because of this rash I thought I would get him to sign the form at the same time.

Wrong!

Firstly, I was given the standard lecture about only having ten minutes per patient. Fine. I was on time, he wasn’t and I had only been there for five minutes as it was. Patronising git.

Then I was told that he couldn’t sign the form as it was an attempt by the gym to pass on legal responsibility for any injuries I sustain to my doctor. He would not sign the form without a full medical and maybe a lot of tests. Fair enough, I suppose. They are trying to get him to set himself up on their behalf.

The YMCA really are a bunch of w*****s. I am perfectly capable of performing alternative exercises if my knee is giving me a problem or of stopping exercise if I am in pain. Nor am I the type of person who would threaten legal action for something I am responsible for.

Not that they asked what the problem was in any case.

So, I am not going back there again but I will send them a very stiff letter of complaint. I have a contact there, someone I dealt with when they were doing something stupid with my direct debit mandates. Unlike most of his colleagues, he actually sounds like he has some intelligence. I will write to him.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?