<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Only U 

I'm sure I have moaned about this before but it struck me that it is inevitable that the word you will disappear from the English language and be replaced by the txt equivalent, U.

As much as I hate the idea and, in my soul, feel that the English language is inviolate, I have to recognise that English has evolved over time, borrowing liberally from a load of other rapidly changing languages. The English I was born to use has already changed. We used to have you and thou, for instance, in regular usage but the latter has been relegated to the sidelines of old bibles and bad period dramas.

I can see that there is a logical symmetry of having U and I instead of you and I. I don't like it much but I can see it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?