<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 06, 2006

Noise blocking headphones 

Noise blocking headphones are a marvellous invention. I bought some Saturday and I've been using them all day. Wonderful.

These are different to noise cancelling headphones and are a fairly simple concept. Basically, they are like ordinary in-ear headphones but with an extra moulding (there are three sizes) that put them a little further in the ear, thereby blocking external sound (the way earplugs do) and putting the music a little closer to the eardrum. This means that I don't need to play the music quite so loudly to drown out the irritating people on the train or, for that matter, the noise of the train itself.

They're also great for irritating little noises in the office as well.


Noise cancelling headphones
are clever little things that work by sampling the external noise and play a cancelling noise in addition to the music you are listening to. They work really well for regular droning noise but not for intermittent noise or higher pitched sounds or speech. I have a pair I bought in the States but I find them a bit hissy. Generally they are quite expensive and require power.

Actually, I bought a crap pair of blockers on Friday from Virgin and then the pair I'm using on Saturday. The crap pair fit really well but were as muffled as hell.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?