<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Voices 

Why do some people have such silly affected voices? I don't mean, and intend no offence against, people who can't help the way they speak. I'm curious about the people who speak in an artificial way.

You know what I mean ...

... white boys who try to sound black and streetwise but fail miserably.

... girls who try to sound professional by emphasising their sibilants ("well, yess, we do like to go away at Chrisstmass") and not breathing before they speak so that it all comes out distant and aloof, they think. There was one on the train this morning.

... gay men whose voices are camp. Why? It's not attractive. Not to me anyway. It can be humerous. Sometimes. I can be camp and I hate myself for it. It's not as if I have cultured it deliberately nor have I hung around with lots of camp guys. I do have a habit of "collecting" accents. Where have I picked up camp from?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?