<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 01, 2005

There and Back Again 

Of course, that was the alternative title of the Hobbit. I haven't been exploring Middle Earth. No, just Ohio and Niagara Falls.

I had a much better time than I thought I would. I was staying with people I didn't know (my nephew's cousin) in a town called Urbana in Ohio before my nephew's wedding. My brother's loose plans of touring around Ohio went to pot a bit because Urbana was a lot further away from Columbus (where my brother and sister were staying) than we thought. Also I had no way to contact my brother. So I was forced to do nothing. And shop.

I could live in Wal*Mart.

I know that sounds shallow but it was so cheap! I mean it's cheap for the States but figuring in the exchange rate, I was able to buy things for about half what I would pay in the UK. Or less. All my ideas of not spending money were completely forgotten. I bought shoes, a fold-up raincoat (for $9 - that's less than £5!), a new beard trimmer, some noise-cancelling headphones and some extra shorts.

The reason we were there was to see my nephew Richard get married to Jenna in Columbus Zoo. I was an usher but the job wasn't too difficult. I sent anyone I recognised from the family to the front of the room or the Groom's side and anyone else to the left or to the back of the right side. There were so few of our family there. I also had to lead my sister, the mother of the Groom, up the aisle to light a candle.

Although it was a zoo there were no animals present at the service although there was a Dingo and some big cats present for the photographs.

I had a good time but it was marred slightly by a sudden raging cold which left me feeling rather antisocial

After the wedding, the family, apart from Richard and Jenna, stayed at Niagara Falls (Canadian side) for a few days. I saw the Falls, went on the Maid of the Mist, jet boated and had my first ride in a helicopter. Great fun and I had lots of photos.

We caught up with Richard and Jenna at Toronto airport for the journey home.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?