<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 18, 2005

Mary Poppins 

I love the new Mary Poppins show. I am going to see it again on Thursday and I listen to the cast recording endlessly.

For some unknown reason I get weepy at the end. Actually, I think part of the reason is something to do with my parents. The whole show is about re-integrating the children with their father and mother. My Mum and Dad are dead and have been for years. I loved them a great deal and I realise now that there are many things I would have liked to have said or done differently. Anything like Mary Poppins, makes me think of what could have been and I feel sad.

There is probably a bit more to it than that. The first time I saw the show, I got more and more emotional. I think it was only partly because of my feelings about my parents. The rest of it was me just getting caught up in the magic of it. I am a 40 year old man and yet, when she flew off the stage at the end, I remember thinking, "Oh no, she's going!" and nearly bursting into tears.

See it if you can. It is darker than the film but it's not "Nightmare on Elm Street".

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?